So let me tell you about this new anime on Crunchyroll. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma is an anime based on a manga (surprise!) which is about a boy who grew up cooking in his father’s restaurant and was sent to culinary school. After Anthony and I watched the first episode, we both were mortified and amused at the same time. Let’s just say that there are some parts where it’s close to not being PG rated. But we still like it anyway because it’s amusing.
So during the first episode, one of his dishes was Chinese fried rice which I have been making for years and I love it! So now is the time for me to share with you my yummy recipe.
Just a quick tip before you start cooking: I usually get the barbecued pork from our Chinese restaurant when we order take out. Make sure you get it next time you order Chinese food because it makes the dish more delicious!
Also, it’s better to cook with leftover rice. If you cook with newly cooked rice, it’ll become mushy. Use a wok, too, if you have it!
- 3 cups cooked, cold rice (preferably precooked half to one day in advance)
- 1/2 cup shelled and cleaned shrimps
- 1/2 cup Chinese barbecued pork
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 eggs – lightly beaten
- 3 stalks green onion (scallions) – chopped
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 thin slices ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Dash of pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water (depending on softness of rice)
- Add Ingredients A to shrimps and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat wok on medium heat and add cooking oil.
- Fry Ingredients B for a few seconds till they impart their aroma, then add shrimps.
- Stir-fry till shrimps change colour & dish up, leaving oil in wok.
- Pour in beaten eggs and scramble slightly.
- Add in rice & Ingredients C - stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Then add barbecued pork, half the scallions and green peas.
- Continue frying for several minutes till rice is aromatic.
- Add the left over green scallions and turn off heat.
- Mix well. Ready to serve.